Western Cape Premier Alan Winde says he will officially request for the deployment of more soldiers to quell ongoing taxi violence in the province.
More than 20 people have been killed in the recent conflict between rival groups – the Cape Amalgamated Taxi Association (CATA) and Congress of Democratic Taxi Associations (CODETA).
Winde says the army was deployed last week in response to unrest but he will ask the national government that more soldiers be sent.
Western Cape taxi violence continues:
He says commuters are suffering due to the conflict.
“We have got generally 120 000 people that are being held ransom and cannot move on our bus systems, we’ve also got many people who cannot move on our train systems. We need to get more of those train sets up and running, specifically from the areas that are being hit by this taxi problem,” says Winde.
On Monday, services were disrupted after a bus driver was shot and wounded near Nyanga.
The bus company says there have been several threats of intimidation on social media against the service.
The shooting follows weeks of unrest within the taxi industry claiming the lives of 23 people.
The post Winde to request more soldiers to quell ongoing taxi violence in Western Cape appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa’s news leader..
Read more here:: Latest South Africa News