Police says hoax social media posts falsely claiming the fatal shooting of a man purportedly linked to the recent murders in Phoenix north of Durban are fake.
This is after SAPS released a media statement alleging that police have noted with concern social media posts that have gone viral, falsely claiming the fatal shooting of an Indian man who according to these posts, is involved in the recent multiple murders in Phoenix, KwaZulu-Natal.
SAPS spokesperson Brenda Muridili says they can confirm the arrest of eight suspects in relation to the Phoenix murders.
“Police can confirm that eight suspects have thus far been arrested. One suspect has already appeared in court and is case remanded to 16 August 2021, while the other seven suspects are expected to appear before the court on Monday 26 July 2021. Some of these suspects are allegedly connected to more than one murder case while others will face charges relating to attempted murder, malicious damage to property, and defeating the ends of justice. The possibility of more arrests being effected cannot be ruled out as a dedicated team of detectives works around the clock on the investigation of the Phoenix murders. Social media users have been cautioned to refrain from circulating and spreading inflammatory messages that seek to incite violence and fuel tensions amongst communities. The incessant spreading of such fake and malicious posts will not be taken lightly.”
‘Unresolved anger, trauma could be the cause of Phoenix violence’
Director of the International Centre of Non-violence at the Durban University of Technology Crispin Hemson says unresolved anger and trauma could be the cause of what is currently happening in Phoenix, northwest of Durban.
Fears are mounting that the rising racial tensions in the area could result in clashes between police and angry protesters.
The KwaZulu-Natal government says more than 20 people have been killed in Phoenix since the outbreak of last week’s unrest, which saw shops being looted and property vandalised.
Morning Live speaks to residents of Phoenix on what has happened:
WARNING: PROFANITY | Residents recount what happened to them and their loved ones in Phoenix:
The post SAPS says news relating to shooting of man linked to Phoenix killings is fake appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa’s news leader..
Read more here:: Latest South Africa News