The Western Cape Transport Ministry says extra Golden Arrow buses will be deployed to transport commuters following the closure of the Bellville to Paarl taxi route.
The route was closed by the provincial Tranport Minister, Daylin Mitchell, for two months, due to a spike in taxi-related violence.
At least 24 people have been killed and 29 others wounded is disputes between Cape Amalgamated Taxi Association (CATA) and Congress of Democratic Taxi Associations (CODETA).
Mitchell, says commuters will also be able to use existing Metrorail train services between the two areas from Monday. Arbitration between the two rival associations is expected to take place next week in attempt to resolve the impasse.
Request for more soldiers to quell ongoing taxi violence in Western Cape
Western Cape Premier Alan Winde says he will officially request for the deployment of more soldiers to quell ongoing taxi violence in the province.
More than 20 people have been killed in the recent conflict between rival groups – the Cape Amalgamated Taxi Association (CATA) and Congress of Democratic Taxi Associations (CODETA).
Winde says the army was deployed last week in response to unrest but he will ask the national government that more soldiers be sent.
Western Cape taxi violence continues:
The post Additional buses to be deployed in Western Cape following closure of taxi route appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa’s news leader..
Read more here:: Latest South Africa News