The Department of Health in the Eastern Cape says it is worried about liquor stores that are not compliant with COVID-19 level 1 lockdown regulations.
The Department was reacting to reports that close to 30 students from Fort Hare University tested positive for the coronavirus following a two-night drinking spree earlier this month.
— University_Fort Hare (@ufh1916) October 18, 2020
Those affected are mainly from the university’s faculties of Nursing and Health Sciences as well as law.
The positive students are currently in isolation at the Alice campus.
The Department is calling on communities to be extra cautious when engaging in activities that have the potential to spread the virus as the country is expecting a second wave of infections.
Provincial Health Department Spokesperson Siyanda Manana says: “COVID-19 is still out there, it is invisible. There are large numbers of people that are contracting it right now, we are expecting a second wave and we cannot be complacent about that. Areas like Sarah Baartman District, Nelson Mandela and Chris Hani are a testament to the fact that there is a growing number of people now that are contracting COVID-19.”
Manana outlines more about the outbreak in the video below:
Over 1600 new infections recorded
South Africa currently stands at 703 793 COVID-19 cases, with 1662 new cases identified in the previous 24 hours.
Over 634 000 people have recovered, as the infographic below indicates:
The post Eastern Cape Health concerned about non compliant liquor outlets appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa’s news leader..
Read more here:: Latest South Africa News